Open Gate Property 111 (Tucumcari, NM)
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Directions: Using this Google Map you may create your own custom driving directions to the property. The directions provided by Google are for planning purposes only. Travel conditions may vary, please plan accordingly.
Big-Game Unit 42 (Unit Maps on Website)
Information: This property contains 270 acres located in GMU 42, a few miles north of Tucumcari, NM off Highway 104. Waste grain and crop residue from their operation help attract and feed game birds. There are two wells with overflow tanks on the property, which supply water for livestock and wildlife and provide some shooting opportunities for bird hunters. Rows of mature deciduous trees along fence lines and field borders provide roosting cover for birds on the property.
Permitted Uses: Hunting is only permitted on this property during the seasons and dates specified in the Open Gate lease agreement between the Department of Game and Fish and the landowner. Access to the property is subject to the terms and conditions in the Open Gate lease agreement and is restricted to the following permitted activities:
|Permitted Activities||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Dove Hunting (Mourning, White-winged and Eurasian Collared Doves, and Band-tailed Pigeon)||Migratory game gird seasons and bag limits are set by Federal framework and will be available upon publication of the New Mexico 2018-2019 Migratory Game Bird Supplement||Dove Bag/Possession: 15 Singly or Aggregate/45 In Possession
Band-Tailed Bag/Possession: 2 Per Day/6 In Possession
|Spring Turkey Hunting||April 15 – May 10, 2018||Over-The-Counter Spring Turkey License Hunts Only. Closed during the Youth-Only season due to farming activities on the property.|
*Please attempt to call Oliver Farms at 575-403-5787 and notify the landowner of your plans before using the property.
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted on this property and enforced at the discretion of the Department of Game and Fish.
- Use of this Open Gate Property is restricted to properly licensed sportspersons for the following activities: dove hunting.
- No trespassing unless you are a properly licensed sportsperson, are accompanied by a properly licensed sportsperson or are license-exempt.
- Each properly licensed sportsperson or license-exempt person is allowed to be accompanied by no more than two guests.
- Scouting is only permitted during the two days immediately preceding the commencement of open season dates.
- No motor vehicle travel off designated roads or on closed roads.
- No destructive acts, including: vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs.
- No target practice.
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- No camping.
- No fires.
- No littering
- Access allowed from two hours before sunrise to two hours after sunset.
- New Mexico Statute prohibits discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling or building without permission of the structure’s owner or lessee.
- No motor vehicle travel off designated roads or on closed roads. This is a Walk-in Area – No motor vehicle travel allowed on this property. Safely park beside adjacent public roads and walk in.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!