Open Gate Property 117 (San Jon, NM)
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Directions: Using this Google Map you may create your own custom driving directions to the property. The directions provided by Google are for planning purposes only. Travel conditions may vary, please plan accordingly.
Big-Game Unit 40 (Unit Maps on Website)
Habitat: Grassland, Scrub-woodland, Cropland, Wetland, and Riparian
Information: Open Gate funds are used to compensate the landowner for public hunting and trapping access to 7,426 private acres on a per acre basis.
Purpose: The purpose of this lease is to provide access to properly licensed and license-exempt hunters and trappers on or through the property owned by the landowner.
Permitted Activities: Hunting and trapping are only permitted on this property during the seasons and dates specified in the Open Gate lease agreement between the Department of Game and Fish and the landowner. Access to the property is subject to the terms and conditions in the Open Gate lease agreement and is restricted to the following permitted activities:
|Permitted Activities||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Dove Hunting (Mourning, White-winged and Eurasian Collared Doves, and Band-tailed Pigeon)||Dove South Zone: Sept. 1-Oct. 29 and Dec. 2-Jan.1 ’18
Band-Tailed Pigeon – Regular Season: Sept. 1-14
|Dove Bag/Possession: 15 Singly or Aggregate/45 In Possession
Band-Tailed Bag/Possession: 2 Per Day/6 In Possession
|Quail Hunting||Nov. 15, 2017 – Feb. 15, 2018||15 per day (no more than 5 Montezuma quail)/ 30 in possession (no more than 10 Montezuma quail).|
|Turkey Hunting||Youth Only:
Apr. 7 – 9, 2017
Any Legal Sporting Arm:
Apr. 15 – May 10, 2017
Sept. 1 – 30, 2017
Any Legal Sporting Arm:
Nov. 1 – 30, 2017
|Refer to Hunting Rules and Information Booklet for additional information and bag limits.|
|Deer Hunting*||Any Legal Sporting Arm:
Nov. 4 – 8, 2017
Nov. 18 – 22, 2017
Sept. 1 – 24, 2017
Jan. 1 – 15, 2018
Oct. 21 – 25, 2017
*Unit 40 Draw license hunters only for deer.
|Nov. 1, 2017 – Mar. 15, 2018||Refer to Hunting Rules and Information Booklet for additional information and bag limits.|
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted on this property and enforced at the discretion of the Department of Game and Fish.
- Use of this Open Gate property is restricted to properly licensed sportspersons for the following activities: Dove Hunting, Quail Hunting, Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, and Bobcat Hunting and Trapping.
- No trespassing unless you are a properly licensed sportsperson, are accompanied by a properly licensed sportsperson or are license-exempt.
- Each properly licensed sportsperson or license-exempt person is allowed to be accompanied by no more than two guests.
- Scouting is only permitted during the two days immediately preceding the commencement of open season dates.
- No motor vehicle travel off designated roads or on closed roads.
- No destructive acts, including vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs.
- No target practice.
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- No camping.
- No fires.
- No littering.
- Access allowed from two hours before sunrise to two hours after sunset.
- New Mexico Statute prohibits discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling or building without permission of the structure’s owner or lessee.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!