Open Gate Property 119 (Deming, NM)
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Directions: Using this Google Map you may create your own custom driving directions to the property. The directions provided by Google are for planning purposes only. Travel conditions may vary, please plan accordingly.
The entrance to OG.119 is located along NM-26 just 6.7 miles northeast of the US-180/NM-26 intersection. Approaching from either direction on NM-26, look for the yellow road/railroad crossing highway sign. Take the first dirt road to the south after this sign. Cross the railroad tracks and you will see the orange Open Gate property sign at the entrance gate. Established roads may be used to travel among Open Gate leased parcels and public land once you enter this gate.
Big-Game Unit 21B (Unit Maps on Website)
Habitat: Grassland and Scrub-woodland
Information: Open Gate funds are used to compensate landowner for public hunting access to 7,248 private acres on a per acre basis.
Purpose: The purpose of this lease is to provide access to properly licensed and license-exempt sportspersons on or through the property owned by the landowner.
Permitted Activities: Hunting is only permitted on this property during the seasons and dates specified in the Open Gate lease agreement between the Department of Game and Fish and the landowner. Access to the property is subject to the terms and conditions in the Open Gate lease agreement and is restricted to the following permitted activities:
|Permitted Activity||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Dove Hunting (Mourning, White-winged and Eurasian Collared Doves, and Band-tailed Pigeon)||Dove South Zone: Sept. 1-Oct. 29 and Dec. 2-Jan.1 ’18
Band-Tailed Pigeon – Southwest Season: Oct. 1-14
|Dove Bag/Possession: 15 Singly or Aggregate/45 In Possession
Band-Tailed Bag/Possession: 2 Per Day/6 In Possession
|Waterfowl Hunting||Central Flyway, South Zone: Ducks – Oct. 25-Jan. 28, ’18. For other species please see the 2017-18 New Mexico Hunting Migratory Game Bird Supplement.||For Waterfowl bag limits, please see the 2017-18 New Mexico Hunting Migratory Game Bird Supplement.|
|Quail Hunting||Nov. 15, 2017 – Feb. 15, 2018||15 per day (no more than 5 Montezuma quail)/ 30 in possession (no more than 10 Montezuma quail).|
Any Legal Sporting Arm, Youth Only:
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted on this property and enforced at the discretion of the Department of Game and Fish.
- Use of this Open Gate property is restricted to properly licensed sportspersons for the following activities: Dove Hunting, Quail Hunting, Waterfowl Hunting, and Javelina Hunting.
- No trespassing unless you are a properly licensed sportsperson, are accompanied by a properly licensed sportsperson or are license-exempt.
- Each properly licensed sportsperson or license-exempt person is allowed to be accompanied by no more than two guests.
- Scouting is only permitted during the two days immediately preceding the commencement of open season dates.
- No motor vehicle travel off designated roads or on closed roads.
- No destructive acts, including vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs.
- No target practice.
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- No camping.
- No fires.
- No littering.
- Access allowed from two hours before sunrise to two hours after sunset.
- New Mexico Statute prohibits discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling or building without permission of the structure’s owner or lessee.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!