Open Gate Property 125 (LCpl. Steven Chavez Fishing Area, Hondo, NM)
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Information: The LCpl. Steven Chavez Fishing Area is dedicated to the memory of Marine Lance Corporal Steven Chavez, who at 20 years of age, was killed on March 14, 2007 while serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom. A native of Hondo, NM, LCpl. Chavez was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force from Camp Pendleton, CA.
The property is located in Hondo, NM off Highway 70 along the Rio Ruidoso and provides access to 0.4 miles of shoreline on both sides of the river. The Rio Ruidoso is a high elevation, spring-fed, cold-water fishery with its headwaters near Sierra Blanca Peak in the Sacramento Mountains. The river holds water year-round in the Hondo area and it has excellent habitat for trout. NM Game and Fish presently stocks rainbow trout near this property to enhance fishing opportunities.
Permitted Activities: Fishing is only permitted on this property during the seasons and dates specified in the Open Gate lease agreement between the Department of Game and Fish and the landowner. Access to the property is subject to the terms and conditions in the Open Gate lease agreement and is restricted to the following permitted activities:
|Permitted Activity||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Fishing||Open year round.||Anglers 11 years of age and younger are not required to hold a fishing license. You may fish without a license on free fishing days.
See posted property rules for special use restrictions.
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted on this property and enforced at the discretion of the Department of Game and Fish.
- Use of this Open Gate property is restricted to properly licensed sportspersons for the following activities: Fishing.
- No trespassing unless you are a properly licensed sportsperson, are accompanied by a properly licensed sportsperson or are license-exempt.
- Each properly licensed sportsperson or license-exempt person is allowed to be accompanied by no more than two guests.
- Any legal tackle or bait.
- Bag limit of 5 trout of any length per day.
- No motor vehicle travel off designated roads or on closed roads.
- No destructive acts, including vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs.
- No camping.
- No fires.
- No littering.
- Access allowed from 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!