Open Gate Property 126 (Tucumcari, NM)
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Information: This property contains 94 acres located in GMU 42, a few miles northwest of Tucumcari, NM off of Quay Road 65, about 3.5 miles from NM 104. Seed, grain, and crop residue from the farming operations help attract and feed game birds. The property contains one small pond and abuts an irrigation canal, which supply water for wildlife and help attract and concentrate game birds. Rows of mature deciduous trees along fence lines and field borders provide roosting cover for birds on the property.
Permitted Uses: Hunting is only permitted on this property during the seasons and dates specified in the Open Gate lease agreement between the Department of Game and Fish and the landowner. Access to the property is subject to the terms and conditions in the Open Gate lease agreement and is restricted to the following permitted activities:
|Permitted Activity||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Spring and Fall Turkey Hunting||Youth Only:
Apr. 7 – 9, 2017Any Legal Sporting Arm:
Apr. 15 – May 10, 2017Archery Only:
Sept. 1 – 30, 2017
Any Legal Sporting Arm:
|Refer to Hunting Rules and Information Booklet for additional information and bag limits.|
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted on this property and enforced at the discretion of the Department of Game and Fish.
- Use of this Open Gate Property is restricted to properly licensed sportspersons for the following activities: Spring and Fall turkey hunting.
- No trespassing unless you are a properly licensed sportsperson, are accompanied by a properly licensed sportsperson or are license-exempt.
- Each properly licensed sportsperson or license-exempt person is allowed to be accompanied by no more than two guests.
- Scouting is only permitted during the two days immediately preceding the commencement of open season dates.
- No motor vehicle travel off designated roads or on closed roads.
- No destructive acts, including: vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs.
- No target practice.
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- No camping.
- No fires.
- No littering
- Access allowed from two hours before sunrise to two hours after sunset.
- New Mexico Statute prohibits discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling or building without permission of the structure’s owner or lessee.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!