Open Gate Property 127 (Monastery Lake in Pecos, NM)
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Directions: From Santa Fe: I-25 to State Road 50 going east, then State Road 63 going north through Pecos. From Las Vegas: I-25 to State Road 63 going north through Pecos. You may create your own custom driving directions to the property using the Google Map. The directions provided by Google are for planning purposes only. Travel conditions may vary, please plan accordingly.
Information: Monastery Lake is a charming oval-shaped lake located in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains at an elevation of 7,000 ft. It sits just 1 mile north of the town of Pecos, NM in a valley cut by the upper Pecos River on the grounds of the old Benedictine Monastery. Monastery Lake covers 6 acres with a maximum depth of 20 feet. This is a regularly stocked, family favorite, trout pond with good handicapped access. The pond is owned by the Benedictine Monastery and public fishing access is leased from the Monastery by the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish through the Open Gate Program. Restrooms are available. Please help keep the area clean!
Permitted Activities: Fishing – Open Daylight Hours – 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset. Fishing is allowed only from the shore. Common species include: rainbow trout and brown trout.
|Permitted Activity||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Fishing||Open year round.||See property rules for special use restrictions.
No ice fishing. Area closed when lake is frozen.
Anglers 11 years of age and younger are not required to hold a fishing license. You may fish without a license on free fishing days.
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted on this property and enforced at the discretion of the Department of Game and Fish.
- Use of this Open Gate property is restricted to properly licensed sportspersons for the following activities: Fishing.
- No trespassing unless you are a properly licensed sportsperson, are accompanied by a properly licensed sportsperson or are license-exempt.
- No ice fishing. When the surface of the lake is frozen, all portions of the premises are closed.
- Bag limit of 5 rainbow trout of any length per day.
- Fishing from the shoreline only. No boats or floating devices allowed.
- No motor vehicle travel off designated roads or on closed roads.
- No destructive acts, including vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages, picnicking, or swimming
- No camping.
- No fires.
- No littering. Pack out your trash. Depositing trash in toilets or elsewhere is prohibited.
- No swimming or wading.
- Access allowed 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!