Open Gate Property 147 (Maxwell, NM)
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Directions: Using this Google Map you may create your own custom driving directions to the property. The directions provided by Google are for planning purposes only. Travel conditions may vary, please plan accordingly.
Big-Game Unit 55 B (Unit Maps on Website)
Information: This Open Gate lease opens public hunting and fishing access to Laguna Madre and Stubblefield Reservoirs. The property provides over 1300 acres of fishing and waterfowl hunting potential and an additional 1000 acres for dove hunting opportunities.
Permitted Activities: Hunting and fishing are only permitted on this property during the seasons and dates specified in the Open Gate lease agreement between the Department of Game and Fish and the landowner. Access to the property is subject to the terms and conditions in the Open Gate lease agreement and is restricted to the following permitted activities:
|Permitted Activities||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Dove Hunting (Mourning, White-winged and Eurasian Collared Doves, and Band-tailed Pigeon)||Dove North Zone: Sept. 1-Nov. 29
Band-Tailed Pigeon – Regular Season: Sept. 1-14
|Dove Bag/Possession: 15 Singly or Aggregate/45 In Possession
Band-Tailed Bag/Possession: 2 Per Day/6 In Possession
|Waterfowl Hunting||Central Flyway, North Zone: Ducks – Oct.14-Jan. 17, ’18 For other species please see the 2017-18 New Mexico Hunting Migratory Game Bird Supplement.||For Waterfowl bag limits, please see the 2017-18 New Mexico Hunting Migratory Game Bird Supplement.|
|Fishing||Open year round.||Anglers 11 years of age and younger are not required to hold a fishing license. You may fish without a license on free fishing days. See property rules for special use restrictions.|
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted on this property and enforced at the discretion of the Department of Game and Fish.
- Public use of this Open Gate private property is restricted to angling or hunting during open seasons for the following game animals: Dove and Waterfowl
- No trespassing unless you have in your possession a valid fishing license, a valid hunting license, or you are accompanied by a properly licensed angler or hunter
- Each properly licensed hunter or angler is allowed to be accompanied by no more than two guests
- Scouting is only permitted during the two days immediately preceding the commencement of open seasons
- No fishing within 150 feet of the lake outlets
- Blinds must be removed by the end of the day
- No target practice
- No destructive acts, including vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs
- No motor vehicle travel off designated or on closed roads
- No littering.
- New Mexico Statute prohibits discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling or building without permission of the structure’s owner or lessee.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!