Open Gate Property 148 (Socorro, NM)
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Directions: Using this Google Map you may create your own custom driving directions to the property. The directions provided by Google are for planning purposes only. Travel conditions may vary, please plan accordingly.
Big-Game Unit 18 (Unit Maps on Website)
Information: This property contains 702 acres located in GMU 18, a few miles south of Socorro, NM off Bosquecito Rd. The ranch is situated along the east bank of the Rio Grande River, in the Middle Rio Grande valley. The MRGV functions as an annual staging and wintering corridor for migrant birds, including dove, sandhill crane, and waterfowl. It also holds pockets of turkey, quail, pheasant, and deer where habitat is available.
Permitted Activities: Hunting is only permitted on this property during the seasons and dates specified in the Open Gate lease agreement between the Department of Game and Fish and the landowner. Access to the property is subject to the terms and conditions in the Open Gate lease agreement and is restricted to the following permitted activities:
|Permitted Activity||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Dove Hunting (Mourning, White-winged and Eurasian Collared Doves, and Band-tailed Pigeon)||Dove South Zone: Sept. 1-Oct. 29 and Dec. 2-Jan.1 ’18
Band-Tailed Pigeon – Regular Season: Sept. 1-14
|Dove Bag/Possession: 15 Singly or Aggregate/45 In Possession
Band-Tailed Bag/Possession: 2 Per Day/6 In Possession
|Quail hunting||Nov. 15, 2017 – Feb. 15, 2018||15 per day (no more than 5 Montezuma quail)/ 30 in possession (no more than 10 Montezuma quail).|
|Pheasant Hunting||Dec. 7 – 10||3 males per day / 6 in possession|
|Spring and Fall Turkey Hunting||Youth Only:
Apr. 7 – 9, 2017Any Legal Sporting Arm:
Apr. 15 – May 10, 2017Archery Only:
Sept. 1 – 30, 2017Any Legal Sporting Arm:
Nov. 1 – 30, 2017
|Refer to Hunting Rules and Information Booklet for additional information and bag limits.|
|Waterfowl Hunting Sandhill Crane Hunting*||Waterfowl – Central Flyway, South Zone: Ducks – Oct. 25-Jan. 28, ’18 For other species please see the 2017-18 New Mexico Hunting Migratory Game Bird Supplement.
Sandhill Crane: Nov. 11-2; Nov. 25-26; Dec 16-17; Jan. 6-7, ’18; Jan.13-14, ’18
|For Waterfowl bag limits, please see the 2017-18 New Mexico Hunting Migratory Game Bird Supplement.
Sandhill Crane Bag/Possession: 3 Per Day/6 In Possession
*Sandhill Crane hunters must possess a valid draw license for MRGV Hunts. Over-the-counter licenses are not available for this hunt area.
|* Unit 18 Archery Draw License hunters only for deer.|
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted on this property and enforced at the discretion of the Department of Game and Fish.
- Use of this Open Gate Property is restricted to properly licensed sportspersons for the following activities: dove hunting, pheasant hunting, quail hunting, sandhill crane hunting, turkey hunting, waterfowl hunting, and deer hunting (archery only).
- No trespassing unless you are a properly licensed sportsperson, are accompanied by a properly licensed sportsperson or are license-exempt.
- Each properly licensed sportsperson or license-exempt person is allowed to be accompanied by no more than two guests.
- Scouting is only permitted during the two days immediately preceding the commencement of open season dates.
- No motor vehicle travel off designated roads or on closed roads.
- No destructive acts, including: vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs.
- No target practice.
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- No camping.
- No fires.
- No littering
- Access allowed from two hours before sunrise to two hours after sunset.
- New Mexico Statute prohibits discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling or building without permission of the structure’s owner or lessee.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!