Open Gate Property 152 (Rio Costilla, Amalia, NM)
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Information: Open Gate funds are used to lease 4.8 miles of fishing access along the scenic Rio Costilla from the Rio Costilla Cooperative Livestock Association (RCCLA). Fishing is allowed by properly-licensed and license-exempt anglers at no additional charge. This fishing area offers a diversity of cold-water fishing opportunities for Rio Grande Cutthroat Trout, Brown Trout, and Rainbow Trout. Special Trout Waters meander through open valleys allowing easy casting from the Valle Vidal Boundary westward to Latir Creek. Regular Trout Waters continue downstream through Costilla Canyon where boulders and deadfall accent multiple plunge pools providing great fishing opportunities. The Rio Costilla is stocked with catchable trout on a regular basis from spring to fall.
Permitted Activities: Only fishing is permitted on this property during the seasons and dates specified in the Open Gate lease agreement between the Department of Game and Fish and the landowner. Access to the property is subject to the terms and conditions in the Open Gate lease agreement and is restricted to the following permitted activities:
|Permitted Activity||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Fishing||Open year round.||Portions of the Rio Costilla fishing area are regular trout waters and others are special trout waters.
See posted property rules for special use restrictions.
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted on this property and enforced at the discretion of the Department of Game and Fish.
- Use of this Open Gate property is restricted to properly-licensed sportspersons for the following activities: Fishing.
- No trespassing unless you are a properly-licensed sportsperson or are license exempt.
- Public access is allowed from State Road 196/FS1950 to the river, on the river bottom, and 200 feet beyond the river to the south/west.
- No motor vehicle travel off designated roads or on closed roads.
- No destructive acts, including vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- No camping, picnicking, swimming, or fires, unless permitted by the Landowner (RCCLA). Certain activities including camping are allowed for a fee through RCCLA. Please contact the RCCLA at 575-586-0542 for details.
- No littering.
- Access allowed only during daylight hours from 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset.
Special Fishing Regulations:
- Special Trout Waters from Valle Vidal Boundary 2.4 miles downstream to Latir Creek. Artificial fly or lure with single barbless hook. Catch and release only. All trout must be immediately returned to the water where taken. Trout may not be taken or possessed while in Special Trout Waters.
- Regular Trout Waters from Latir Creek downstream to the property boundary. See the current New Mexico Fishing Rules and Information booklet for restrictions.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!