Open Gate Property 156 (Roswell, NM)
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Information: Berrendo Creek Fishing Area, contains 0.78 miles of shoreline along Berrendo Creek. The property is located on the eastern edge of the Roswell, NM city limit.
Berrendo Creek is of moderate to high quality habitat for various game fish and maintains water at a fairly constant level throughout the year. Along with overhanging woody vegetation, decomposing saltcedar that has entered the waterway also provides suitable structure for a variety of fish species.
Berrendo Creek presently supports bluegill, sunfish, catfish, and largemouth bass. The creek is also stocked with trout for anglers during the winter months.
Permitted Activities: Fishing only is permitted on this property during the seasons and dates specified in the Open Gate lease agreement between the Department of Game and Fish and the landowner, as described below.
Access to the property is restricted to the following permitted activities:
|Permitted Activity||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Fishing only||Open year round.||Anglers 11 years of age and younger are not required to hold a fishing license. You may fish without a license on free fishing days.
See property rules for special use restrictions.
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted onsite and enforced at the discretion of the Agency:
- Use of this Open Gate Property is restricted to properly-licensed anglers for the following Permitted Uses: [Fishing].
- No access unless you are a properly-licensed angler.
- Each properly-licensed angler is allowed to be accompanied by no more than two guests.
- Fish size, bag, and possession limits will be set at the discretion of the Agency and posted on the property.
- Fishing is allowed from the shoreline only. Swimming, wading, boats, or floating devices are prohibited.
- No motor vehicle travel off designated roads or on closed roads.
- No entry into closed areas.
- No destructive acts, including vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs.
- No target practice.
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- No camping.
- No fires.
- No littering.
- Access allowed from 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!