Open Gate Property 157 (Reserve, NM) Rancho Grande Ponds Fishing Area
Open Gate is a program that leases private lands to improve public access for hunting, fishing, and trapping. Open Gate leases are funded exclusively by hunters, anglers, and trappers through the purchase of the Habitat Management & Access Validation: HMAV.
Information: Rancho Grande Ponds provides up to 4.0 surface acres of fishable water located in GMU 16A approximately 7 miles west of Reserve, NM near the intersection of NM-12 and US-180.
The Rancho Grande Ponds are spring fed with maximum depths of near 15 feet. The pond edges are surrounded by emergent vegetation and shallower waters are filled by cattails. Alligator juniper, willows, and cottonwoods are also found around the ponds providing limited shading. The ponds presently support populations of bluegill, bass, and catfish. The ponds are also stocked with trout for anglers during the winter months.
Permitted Activities: Fishing only is permitted on this property during the seasons and dates specified in the Open Gate lease agreement between the Department of Game and Fish and the landowner, as described below. Access to the property is restricted to the following permitted activities. Fishing only.
|Permitted Activity||Available Dates||Remarks|
|Fishing only||Open year round.||Anglers 11 years of age and younger are not required to hold a fishing license. You may fish without a license on free fishing days.
See property rules for special use restrictions.
Property Rules: The following rules will be posted onsite and enforced at the discretion of the Agency:
- Use of this Open Gate Property is restricted to properly-licensed anglers for the following permitted uses: Fishing.
- No access unless you are a properly-licensed angler.
- Each properly-licensed angler may be accompanied by no more than two guests.
- Fish size, bag, and possession limits will be set at the discretion of the Agency and posted on the property.
- Fishing is allowed from the shoreline only. Swimming, wading, boats, or floating devices are prohibited.
- No motor vehicle travel on property. Parking allowed in designated areas. Walk-in access only at designated location(s).
- No entry into closed areas.
- No destructive acts, including vandalism, graffiti, theft, removal or defacing natural features, resources or signs.
- No target practice.
- No consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- No camping.
- No fires.
- No littering.
- Access allowed from 30 minutes before sunrise to sunset.
- Pets may be allowed by Landowner but must remain on leash.
Rate this Property
NMDGF wants your feedback to ensure that this property is providing an enjoyable outdoor experience. Please take a moment to anonymously rate this property. We know your experience can differ each time you go afield, so be sure to provide a separate review each time you visit this Open Gate property.
Quick Tip: After future visits you can quickly provide a review by clicking the Rate a Property tab on the Open Gate homepage.
We appreciate your assistance!