New Mexico Department of Game and Fish
Public contact, Information Center: (888) 248-6866
Media contact: Dan Williams: (505) 476-8004
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, AUG. 22, 2017:
Public meetings will address proposed changes to fishing rules
SANTA FE – The Department of Game and Fish will conduct eight public meetings around the state in the next two weeks to discuss and hear comments about proposed changes to the state’s fishing rules.
The department is considering various changes to rules that are reviewed every four years. They include:
- Modifications to the Special Trout Water program.
- New Trophy Bass Waters with a reduced daily limit of 2 largemouth bass at Lake Roberts, Bill Evans Lake and Clayton Lake, with bow and spear-fishing restrictions.
- Lifting catch-and-release designation at Brantley Lake.
- Adding Alumni Pond, Corona Pond, Estancia Pond, Perch Lake, Rancho Grande Ponds, Roswell Kids Ponds, and the Rio Grande below Elephant Butte as winter trout waters.
- Adding Rancho Grande Ponds, the Pecos River within Villanueva State Park, and Timberon Ponds as summer catfish waters.
More information about the proposed changes can be found at the department website, where the department also is accepting public comments.
Meetings will be from 6 to 8 p.m. at the following locations:
- Aug. 29: Navajo State Park Visitor Center, 36 Road 4110, Navajo Dam.
- Aug. 30: Farmington Civic Center, 200 West Arrington, Farmington.
- Sept. 5: Department of Game and Fish office, 1 Wildlife Way, Santa Fe.
- Sept. 6: Department of Game and Fish office, 1912 W. Second St. Roswell.
- Sept. 6: Grant County Commission Chambers, County Administration Building, 1400 Highway 180 East, Silver City.
- Sept. 6: Taos Youth and Family Center, 407 Paseo Del Canon E, Taos.
- Sept. 7: Department of Game and Fish office, 2715 Northrise Drive, Las Cruces.
- Sept. 7: Department of Game and Fish office, 3841 Midway Place NE, Albuquerque.