FREE FISHING DAY - JUNE 2, STATEWIDE
... Whether you’re an old hand at fishing or if you feel like testing the waters for the first time, Saturday, June 2, is the perfect time to get out and make a cast or two at lakes and streams across New Mexico -- no license required.
June 2, 2012, is National Fishing Day, and to celebrate, the New Mexico Game Commission is granting all anglers, residents and nonresidents a day of free fishing on public waters statewide. On this special day, no one needs a license or stamp, although bag limits and all other fishing rules apply.
As a bonus, the Department of Game and Fish and its partners will conduct free fishing clinics at waters across the state. Anglers of all ages are encouraged to participate. All you need is some basic fishing equipment. Most clinics will offer prizes for kids who register and attend educational stations.
More than 200 volunteers and more than 20 Department staff members will be at the clinics to provide fishing instruction and information about New Mexico’s fish and fish habitat. Young anglers will learn the basics: how to bait hooks, tie knots, catch fish and the correct way to release fish. They’ll also learn how to be responsible anglers and how to get the most out of the Department’s Fishing Rules and Information Booklet.
The kids fishing clinics will be at waters across the state in lakes and streams of varying sizes -- even in a portable swimming pool. Almost all of them will be generously stocked with catchable-sized trout or channel catfish before the events.
For more information about the clinics, contact Kevin Holladay at (505) 476-8095.
Here’s where to find the clinics:
• Española Area: 9 a.m. to noon, Santa Cruz Lake.
• Albuquerque: 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Tingley Beach.
• Grants: 8 a.m. to noon, Grants Riverwalk Pond, lunch for kids.
• Roswell: 7 to 11 a.m., Wal-Mart Super Center, catfish portable pool.
• Ruidoso: 9 a.m. to noon, Grindstone Reservoir, canoe rides.
• Las Cruces: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Alumni Pond.
• Silver City area: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Lake Roberts.
• Silver City area II: 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Bill Evans Lake, bass fishing instruction and boat rides.