New Mexico Wildlife

New Mexico Department of Game & FIsh

Home |  Recreation |  Apps & Permits |  Enforcement |  Conservation |  Education |  OHV |  Commission


Last Updated: 09/26/2014

gain flag

To purchase a GAIN permit, log in to your account in the Online License System, and click "License Sales."


Welcome to GAIN


Bugling bull elk

People who enjoy wildlife-associated recreation other than hunting and fishing will have more opportunities in New Mexico, as the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish continues its Gaining Access Into Nature program. GAIN offers outstanding wildlife viewing and other activities on State Game Commission owned Wildlife Management Areas, lands that normally are open mainly for hunting and fishing. GAIN will not impact traditional hunting and fishing activities.


GAIN activities include wildlife viewing, photography, hiking, bicycling, skiing, snowshoeing and horseback riding. All GAIN participants will be required to have permits for the appropriate season and activity. Some wildlife areas will be closed to all activities at certain times to protect wildlife. However, GAIN will not restrict activities such as hiking and fishing in areas that normally are open.


GAIN Permit Information

GAIN access permits are required to participate in GAIN activities on participating properties owned by the State Game Commission. A $4 Habitat Management and Access Validation (HMAV) will also be required.


Activities requiring GAIN permits include wildlife viewing and photography, hiking, bicycling, skiing, snowshoeing and horseback riding. Click here for a list of participating properties and specific activities allowed.


An annual GAIN permit will cost $15. A five-day, temporary GAIN permit will be $4. Including the HMAV and $1 vendor fee, the annual permit would be $20 and the temporary permit would be $9. If GAIN permits are purchased online, the vendor fee will be $1.


More Information


For more information about GAIN, contact Clint Henson at (575) 445-2311 or