Attention Youth Artists!
The Department of Game and Fish is inviting youth of all ages to participate in a drawing and photography contest.
New Mexico is known for our great artists, and our youth are the future of our great art. Spend time creating a drawing or snap a great photo to enter the contest.
Winners will receive a Game and Fish bag of cool prizes you can use on your next trip outdoors. Winning drawings and photographs will be featured on the Department’s social media pages, or in an upcoming issue of New Mexico Wildlife magazine or one of our monthly e-newsletters.
How to Submit an Entry
Theme: New Mexico’s great wildlife and wild spaces!
Eligibility (based on the grade you will enter in August 2020):
Division I – Grades K – 2
Division II – Grades 3 – 5
Division III – Grades 6 – 8
Division IV – Grades 9 – 12
a. Colored or graphite drawing pencil, ink, pastel, crayon, chalk, marker or charcoal.
b. Painting acrylic, watercolor, oil, other plastic paints.
c. Mixed media entries in which two or more 2-D media are combined in a single two-dimensional entry; includes collage.
* Materials may extend up to one inch from the surface. Collage: No more than 20% of collage material may be from newspapers, magazines, books or other material pre-printed with text or designs (such as scrapbook paper).
a. Must be a student’s own work taken within the last year. It may be black and white or color prints.
The artwork will be judged by the Department of Game and Fish communications team. Winning artwork will be selected based on the following criteria (criterion is weighted equally):
- Creativity and Originality – There is evidence of imagination, creativity and individuality. The result is distinctive and the concept presented in a unique way that is imaginative and inventive.
- Technique – The student chooses and utilizes media and tools competently to enhance the appearance of the work.
- Organization – The use of elements and the principles of art are used effectively and selectively to enhance the overall appearance of the work.
- Clarity of Theme – The work combines technique, expression and organization through artistic and critical judgment to achieve an effective interpretation of the theme.
- Presentation – The presentation is in accordance with the style of the art piece and the theme of the competition. The pictures of artwork should be clear. Encourage parents to help younger children prepare their work and photograph it so the judges can clearly see what their child made.
Note: Jurors have the right to exclude any work from consideration in the contest. The decision of the jurors is final as relating to all contest matters.
- Images traced with the use of a projector or other mechanical means are prohibited.
- Original photographs or student-directed photographs may be used by students in the development of the entry, provided the original photograph is attached to the back of the entry. Photographs not originated by the student may not be used as source material for artwork submissions.
- Entries can only be submitted electronically.
- There is no fee for entry.
- Youth can enter a maximum of one image into each category.
All entries must be original work.
For questions, please contact Tristanna.Bickford@state.nm.us or (505) 476-8027.