Southwest New Mexico Birding Trail
We have chosen more than 40 sites (places) of the most attractive birding locations throughout southwest New Mexico. The guides include maps, birding tips, site descriptions and contact information that should help you easily identify birding sites.
The following PDFs are available for the Southwestern New Mexico Birding Trail. Click on thumbnails to download. To store the PDF on your local computer, right-click the thumbnail and “Save Link As“.
* File added later than the printed edition.
New Mexico Birding Links
In addition to links found in the Southwest Birding Trail Introduction:
Other bird-related information for New Mexico can be found here:
- New Mexico Tourism: https://www.newmexico.org/things-to-do/nature/birding/
- Visit Albuquerque: https://www.visitalbuquerque.org/things-to-do/outdoors/birding/
- New Mexico Ornithological Society: http://www.nmbirds.org/
National bird-related information can be found here:
- Partners in Flight: https://www.partnersinflight.org/
- North American Bird Conservation Initiative: http://nabci-us.org/
- Migratory Bird Joint Ventures: http://mbjv.org/
- Migratory Bird Day: https://www.migratorybirdday.org/
- Playa Lakes Joint Venture: http://www.pljv.org (A partnership of federal and state wildlife agencies, conservation groups, private industry and landowners, the PLJV is dedicated to conserving bird habitats in the Southern Great Plains).
Citizen science websites include:
- eBird (bird observations): https://ebird.org/home
- Audubon’s Christmas Bird Count: https://www.audubon.org/conservation/science/christmas-bird-count
- The Great Backyard Bird Count: http://gbbc.birdcount.org/
- iNaturalist: https://www.inaturalist.org/